Thursday, July 10, 2008

The Good Old Days

I recently received a phone call for a cake order for a party for a lady who is turning 100 years old tomorrow. I felt honored to do her cakes. There was also a front-page article in our local newspaper about a county resident who turned 108 on July 6! There was also a big celebration for him. As I am working on the cakes, I have to stop and wonder to myself what these two centurions have seen in their lives in the last 100 or more years. I’m not ever half their age yet, and I think sometimes I have seen a lot of changes in my life. Just with the conveniences I have seen materialize, I have come to the conclusion that I am glad I live in the present time in history and not those prior to my lifetime! Here are some to name a few, not in any particular order of importance:

Microwaves
Cell Phones
Electricity
Air Conditioning
Forced Air Heating
Computers
The Internet
Online Businesses
Email
Hot Water Heaters
Digital Cameras
Televisions
Vinyl House Siding
Canned Foods
Refrigerators
Freezers
Motorized Vehicles
Dishwashers
Washers and Dryers
Calculators
Fast Food Establishments
Frozen Foods
Riding Lawn Mowers
Weed Eaters
Indoor Plumbing
Vacuum Sweepers
Water Filtration Systems
Car Seats for Kids & Babies
Cake Mixes
Electric Mixers

Well, I am sure the list could go on and on. As I was doing the cakes, I thought how thankful I was for cake mixes and my electric mixer. I remember back in the day when you did not splurge and buy a cake mix. You had all the ingredients on hand so you just mixed it up from scratch. And if you did have a mix, you may not have an electric mixer. It actually gave the instruction on how many times to stir or beat the mix with a spoon on the back of the box!

I can remember hearing stories from my grandparents, and even my parents, about how certain things were done before the modern conveniences of today. They are like horror stories to me, but if you lived in that era you did not know any better. That was just the way it was. Some older people may use the expression of “The Good Old Days” when they refer to something from their younger years, but I don’t know of too many of them who have been spoiled by the conveniences of today that would go back and live in that time again.


Author: Linda Dougherty
Specializes in working with people to show them how to market effectively to earn money online.

http://www.internettowealth.com/

No comments: