Saturday, August 30, 2008

Painting and Shingling

My family owns a construction business which is worked part-time along side my husband’s full time job at the shingle factory. These construction jobs have to be coordinated with his full time job in order to do them in his off time hours or days off. We have our three sons who help us if they are not working, at college, or have other plans. We also have a fourth son who lives 75 miles from us who is doing construction in his town such as we are.

Several of us on the crew have come to the conclusion that there are a couple of specialties that we just are not really fond of doing. They are also jobs that people cannot seem to find anyone else to do, so I guess we are just suckers. The first is painting. We did this a few months ago for two days when it was over 100 degrees. At certain times of the day, depending on which side of the house you were on, there was absolutely no shade you could get in to paint. To make matters worse, there was not even a breeze. More recent than that, we did the second thing we are not really fond of – shingling the roof. Not only is that really hard work, but it is so hot on the roof!

I honestly don’t know if it was hotter when painting or roofing, but the humidity just compounded the problem. The boys think it is pretty cool when they get hot on the job just to throw off their shirts and keep at it. I tell them that is totally not fair, and they just give me a big grin. I stand there with the sweat running in places it shouldn’t, so I walk over to the water jug and get a cup of cold water and pour it down the front and back of my shirt. It is amazing how that will cool you off, plus the wet shirt gives an air conditioned effect for quite some time.
We have had a very productive summer - with construction jobs still lined up that will take us well up into winter to complete. We were not at all upset to have had only one big painting and one big shingling job this year. I like helping with our family construction business, but when it is too hot or so cold you have to bundle up till you can hardly move, I would much rather be at home working my online business any day! I really appreciate my air conditioner and furnace at certain times of the year.


Author: Linda Dougherty
Specializes in working with people to show them how to market effectively to earn money online.

http://www.internettowealth.com/

No comments: