Saturday, August 30, 2008

Great-Grandparents

With a new addition to the family recently, I became a great-aunt on my side of the family for the first time. This made the third great-grandchild for my parents though. I have two grandchildren, but this was my brother's first grandchild. I got to thinking about that. First my parents were 'grand'parents. According to the dictionary, 'grand' means magnificent. When you check out the word 'great', it means important. I don't know if it's just me, but 'magnificent' sounds of greater magnitude than 'important'. So what does that mean? If you are a grandparent you are of greater magnitude than when the next generation arrives and you are then reduced to just being great as a great-grandparent? Is that the way of phasing out the older generation? You are built up to be made grand, and as time goes on, you slowly lose value and status. Oh, but then they try to make you feel better with the next generation and say you are a great-great-grandparent! Now isn't that a little bit of play on words? Are two greats equal to a grand? Maybe if you live to be that old, or even to the point of being a great-great-great grandparent, people realize just what a treasure you are!

Author: Linda Dougherty
Specializes in working with people to show them how to market effectively to earn money online.

http://www.internettowealth.com/

No comments: