Thursday, September 4, 2008

My Horses's Ailment Remedied

A couple of weeks ago, my horse Sonny, a palomino quarter horse, came down sick. He was lying on the ground just rolling and rolling and would not eat. And of course the lot was muddy, so he was a mess! My son discovered what his problem was. Sonny had reached across the fence to the neighboring horse’s pen and had been munching on a board on her shed. So he was obviously suffering from a belly ache and was in pain. Sonny was given a shot for the pain and we hoped he would improve during the night. Unfortunately he was worse by morning. It had rained almost two inches in the wee hours, so with all his rolling around he was covered with about an inch thick mud. Of course he would not stay in the dry shed to roll! If it was not for his shape, you would not have known he was a horse! He was cleaned up and taken to the barn and put in a pen where it was dry and no boards to chew on.

We called the vet and I met him in a short while. He gave Sonny two shots for pain. He decided it was best to get some soapy water down him. That was a real experience! I pretty much laid on his neck – he was stretched out on the ground. The vet and his assistant inserted a clear tube down his nostril. It finally got to a certain point where Sonny swallowed the tube and it could be gently pushed on in to his stomach. The assistant used some kind of pump then to get the soapy water solution (probably a special solution the vet uses instead of Dawn dish soap) pumped into his belly.

There was nothing more that could really be done for him at the time but to just let the solution do its work. So I went back home – and kept praying nothing would happen to my horse. When I walked into the barn later that afternoon, I couldn’t believe my eyes. Sonny was up and eating, and when he saw me he whinnied and came quickly to the gate to greet me. He wasn’t acting like the same horse I had left earlier in the day. Then I discovered why – the soapy water did the trick! There were two fresh piles in his pen. Upon examining them, you could see what looked like sawdust or ground up board. No wonder he was now acting frisky! Within the evening hours there were several more fresh piles and he was like his old self. So obviously Sonny had been suffering from belly ache and constipation.

I have recently been reading some self-help books. Sonny’s constipation problem made me think of a phrase called “Constipation of the Brain.” When reading these books lately, this concept has come back to me. In dealing with people with my online businesses, I know there are many people out there who are suffering that ailment. I admit even I have been guilty of it. We suffer from preconceived ideas and tend to resist change in all aspects of our lives. People tend to live in the past with regrets and in the future with “what ifs” rather than focusing on “now” or “in the moment.” You cannot change the past and you cannot predict the future, but you can change your future by controlling how you live in the moment.

Author: Linda Dougherty
Specializes in working with people to show them how to market effectively to earn money online.

http://www.internettowealth.com/

No comments: