Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Being a Grandparent

"Grandpa! Grandma!" Aren’t those beautiful words? I relish the sound of it when our grandson says it. I look forward to the day when our granddaughter is old enough to say it. When we are busy in our younger years raising our family, we sometimes forget those special moments of things our kids may say or do. But something changes when you become a grandparent and you cherish those moments ever so much more.

There is a recent song out by Alan Jackson called "A Small Town Southern Man." One line in the chorus says, "The greatest contribution is the ones you leave behind." You can look at that phrase not just as when someone dies, but from a grandparent’s point of view while living. We have the opportunity to leave an influence on our grandchildren and a legacy for them. With age, we have experiences and hopefully have gained wisdom that we can help teach things to our grandchildren. These teachings may concern things such as morality, responsibility, respect, love, citizenship, kindness, Christianity, humility, honor, self-control, and forgiveness. When you look at that list of qualities, we grandparents have a very important role to fulfill.

Sometimes grandparents do not have the opportunity of being with their grandkids because of the miles that separate them. However, there are ways to stay in touch or leave a legacy for them. This can be done by phone calls or email, or by sending letters, cards, video recordings, pictures, or gifts through the mail. You can also make a keepsake box for each grandchild that will leave them information or trinkets that tell about you when you are gone. Also can be included is a letter to the child telling how much you loved them and that it was an honor to be their grandparent, along with any other information you want them to know that can be passed down through the generations. You do not have to be a famous or notorious person or be very wealthy to leave a legacy. That which is bequeathed to your heirs, no matter how large or small, is your legacy.

One aspect of my legacy to my children and grandchildren is my online business. I am building it to pass down to my heirs after I am gone. It is my hope that they appreciate what I have done for them. Even if they don’t understand what my Internet business was all about, they will know I loved them very much because of what I had done to have something for them to inherit. My business will be a testament of my love for them all.

Author: Linda Dougherty
Specializes in working with people to show them how to market effectively to earn money online.

http://www.internettowealth.com/

No comments: