Monday, April 7, 2008

Headlice? Get me a Nit Picker!!!

I don’t know if anything can quite compare to the feeling of when you discover someone in the house has headlice. It leaves a horrible feeling in the pit of your stomach, you become overly anxious about the whole situation, and worst of all – your head suddenly starts to itch and you swear you feel something crawling.

My husband and I have been foster parents for 8 or 9 years. We had never dealt with headlice on ourselves or any of our own children through all their years in school, or any other previous foster children. I was absolutely horrified at the discovery of the lice on three out of the four foster kids when we took this particular group in to our home. And they didn’t just have a case - they had a chronic case!

We had been told by the children’s home before they arrived at our house that they had been treated twice while they were there so they should be okay. Boy, was I naïve. About a week later, I decided to take an old comb through the one little girl’s dry hair. With one swipe I knocked the comb out on the counter, and at least a dozen lice of various sizes went scampering. Horrified doesn’t begin to describe how I felt. First thing I did was rush out and get an over-the-counter product to treat their hair. Afterwards, I did some research and found out that was not the thing to do because the product had pesticides in it that can be absorbed through the skin and cause nerve damage. So I got online and did some research and found a product they guaranteed to work. I knew it had better because I have really long hair and I didn’t want those lice taking up residence on my head!

Exterminating headlice is not just a matter of getting them off of the head, but also the job of getting them out of the environment so you don’t get reinfested. So I ordered the product online and went to work as soon as it arrived with 2-day shipping. Not only did I treat all three kids’ heads, but I also did a total environment cleaning. I washed up all the bedding, bagged up stuffed toys and dolls and throw pillows for two weeks, and I vacuumed the house from top to bottom – including the furniture like the sofas where they set to watch TV. With that first treatment, I combed 90 lice and eggs (or nits) out of just the boy’s hair. I couldn’t believe it! What was nice about this product was the fact that it consists of only natural ingredients so it is totally safe. It can take up to ten days for eggs to hatch, and I knew it probably did not get rid of all the eggs the first time, as it says on the instructions. So I treated the environment and heads again in four days. I knew the product was safe enough to do it that often, plus I wanted to get any lice that may have hatched after the treatment, but were not old enough to lay their own eggs. With the second treatment on the boy, I got out 30 lice and eggs. The third treatment four days later was 14 and the fourth treatment was only 2 or 3 specks that may have been a part of a bug or an old shell. Regardless, I wasn’t taking any more chances at missing one, so I did one final treatment - and I combed nothing out of any of their heads. I was so elated!! Of course, I kept inspecting their heads on a regular basis and yes, we had exterminated them!!!!!!!!!

I recommend this product to anyone who is dealing with headlice. You can visit the volunteer headlice hotline website to learn more about this product. I became a volunteer after what I had been through so I could be a support and team member to others. There are several volunteers on the site, but if you would like to visit with me in particular, I would be more than happy to assist you. Just look for ’Linda’ on there and it will give you my contact information.
Being a team member for the headlice hotline reminds me of my online businesses. We have team members with those too that help others to succeed by showing them how to market effectively to earn money online .

Author: Linda Dougherty
Specializes in working with people to show them how to market effectively to earn money online.

http://www.internettowealth.com/

No comments: